Collaborative and sociable endeavour

obstacles to becoming a professional programmer. For one, outside the industry, harmful stereotypes remain. Engineers are often seen as introverted, antisocial and (you guessed it) male. As a teenager who wasn’t any of those things, I was put off. And I know there are many others now who are just like I was then. So perhaps it’s not surprising that I didn’t want a job that, at first glance, appeared to isolate me from other people in some form of employed solitary confinement. So, it was with this thought in mind that I stepped away from engineering to instead embark on a career in marketing.

Fortuitously my father happened to work in the same building as my new company, so before and after work I would spend time sitting in his office.  By observing him and his team, I quickly discovered that working in software development was not an isolating role, but rather a much more collaborative and sociable endeavour.  I computer science vs computer engineering then and there that I had to get back into engineering, so started to teach myself JavaScript and embarked on two bootcamps to kickstart my career in software development.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two founding signatories leave Architects Declare

Enrolled with the Secretary of Information and Communication Technology